Skip to main content

Borrowed Time

The loss of a loved one is one of the most painful seasons anyone can ever experience in life--one of the hardest times to go through. 

Since Friday last week, I've seen how one dearly-loved person passing away, turns a family, relatives and friends to sudden gloom and sadness. The pain so enveloped everyone, as one family member said, "masakit... hindi ma-explain". 

The few days of wake ushered everyone to weep with those who weep. It was a time to cry and find comfort with one another and, most especially from the the Lord.

The pain of separation lingers but everyone is invited to the true hope in God, as one of the songs went (Trust His Heart) during the wake service:

God is too wise to be mistaken
God is too good to be unkind
So when you don't understand
When you don't see His plan
When you can't trace His hand
Trust His heart

Yesterday was the burial. During interment mass, a passage from Job was read. Job, as many are familiar, also went through suffering from deaths of his sons and daughters. It was sudden, massive and caused by nature or one of the 'Acts of God'. The mourning Job gone through is truly unthinkable however, what was recorded in Job 1:20-22 gives us an idea:

Job 1:20  Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped.
Job 1:21  And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."
Job 1:22  In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.
 
Driving home from the interment, I can't help but reflect about my own life and family. What if I go or my parents? How will it be for people I leave behind or we, children, left behind by our parent/s? How can you prepare for something like this? I was telling this to one of my closest friends, who also experienced death, his dad died 8 years ago. He said, "We are all living on a borrowed time.". That was a loaded sentence!  

It then turned things running in my mind from earthly to upward or heavenward thoughts...

- Life is short
- Life is God's
- Life should be lived to the full for God's glory

These thoughts connect me to valuing relationships as well. To love and spend time with my parents. To sympathize with my friends who also experienced loss. To do good to others even if they can't repay your act of kindness for we are meant to do good to others. 

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

I heard so many good things about mommy (my fiance's mom). From what the family, relatives and friends testified, I gathered how much she dedicated a life of benevolence. She was selfless and I admire her for that. I wish I had longer time to know her but it was only few meetings that God allowed. God, also, in His perfect will, did not allow her to march the aisle with her youngest son for our wedding. All these are heart-breaking... 

They said that mourning over a loss won't fade away, it will stay even for how many years but you only learn to accept it. I respect the grieving, with all of my heart.   

Nonetheless, I thank God that I met mommy. I will cherish in my heart the times I was able to see her and talk to her personally. Like her family and friends she left behind, her sweet memories will live on in my heart and mind.
 

May this post encourage and comfort all who are suffering from the loss of a loved one... 

Song: In His Love by Sandi Patty 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?

Rating: ★★★★ Category: Books Genre: Other Author: Carolyn McCulley TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEVER SAY TO... This Top Ten List of things you never say to a single woman at a wedding from Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? By Carolyn McCulley (pg 18) 1) You're next. 2) Why aren't you married? 3) Maybe you should lose some weight. 4) What about (insert name here)? He's a nice boy! 5) You're next. 6) Maybe you're called to singleness. 7) Can you babysit tonight? 8) Did you ever consider being a missionary? 9) Just don't think about marriage, and it will happen. 10) You're next.

Top 10 Ang Pinaka Pasaway sa Facebook

Last Sunday I watched QTV's Ang Pinaka and couldn't help but laugh and agree with some or most of the reasons why people are 'pasaway' in FB. Honestly, I am pasaway sometimes too but really I'm amazed at how much Filipinos have embraced this social networking site and become part of their daily lives to the point that it become an addiction to some. So guys, here it is the Top 10 Ang Pinaka Pasaway sa FB  10. The Sympathy Baiter - posting comments that are too emo, inviting attention to self 9. The Obscurist - posting too deep words, cryptic phrases words of wisdom comments 8. The Paparazzo - feeling photo journalist, posting photos without your permission and                                       tagging you without concern if the photo will cause you shame  7. The Bad Grammarian -  likes to sound smart on his comments, never mind if the grammar                                         is 'baluktot' 6. The Chronic Inviter - bombards you with every quiz, game

My First PUSO Day

I am 35, single  (technically)   who have been asked numerous times every February of my life this same generic and sometimes annoying question of what will I do on the 14th? Normally my answer would just be a smile but this year is different. I have an answer, we have an all-girls-sleep-over partey!!! Last Feb14 (on a Friday, Payday, Valentines), while the Metro is cursed with heavy traffic both on streets and in trains (ya! people-traffic), I stayed at home the whole day to prepare for the night. My housemates and I, invited our girl friends to have a Valentines party at home and we called it P.U.S.O. Don't ask me what the acronym mean because I keep forgetting, the S though stands for Singles. See my pang-elementary wall decor...We even have our Love wall... Anyway, the ladies started coming by 5pm. The program was simple: eat, have a game and movie marathon. We had dinner, talked, laughed and ate as much sweets as we wanted (imagine 10+ women talking and laughing...t