Skip to main content

Lessons I learned from biking

Not that I just learned how to ride a bike, but it's been quite a long time since I rode a bike again--that's where I got the purpose of adding a post in annderthesun.

I'll start by saying, I am stupid (ouch!).

Yes, I am. I have to say that before I tell you that I rode a bike not noticing that I was running flat, until I reached my sister's house which is about a kilometer away. You may imagine my struggle in pedaling. I was running like an old horse trying to pedal but the more I tried, the more I get tired and I felt that the effort was useless. I thought, do I really lack exercise this much? So, I stopped and went and stopped again; after 3 stops and reaching about 400 meters from house, I decided to end my despair and take a tricycle to my sister's house.

I was happy to reach my sister's place alive and have the energy to play basketball with my 8-year old nephew. I ate Koko Krunch while he is eating his brunch before going to school. An hour passed and he soon went to school. I chat a bit with my Ate and we were laughing as I unashamedly shared the "lawit-dila" story on my way to their subdivision. Later I said I think the chains need oil, so Ate gave me bike oil to lubricate the parts of the bike. After I put generous oil to chains and hubs Ate noticed, the tires.

Ate: "eh flat e"
Me: "oh kaya..."

Our common term of 'endearment' among siblings is "kamote". We use it for many different reasons. Kamote for kakulitan, kamote for stupidity, kamote for stubbornness or simply kamote for not doing anything. For this occasion, it's kamote for stupidity. har har...

Quickly, we had the chains and hubs lubricated and pumped air to flat tires. Good grief, now I can go home biking--smoothly. Soon as I arrived home, I told Nanay what happened. She said, "sabi ko sa iyo flat, e." I stopped and realized, so that was what she was telling me when I started moving away from house but I ignored and didn't bother to go back and ask what it was.

Again, I am stupid.

I'm not blogging to open myself to mockery but I just want to share what I learned and I hope you will remember the lessons more than the shame of my recent biking experience.

3 Lessons
1. Look - Check your vehicle before moving (so basic, i know!)
2. Listen - It pays to listen to warnings, comments and feedback, especially when they come from your parents.
3. Act - Lessons are not learned when not obeyed. Remember what the bible says, "knowledge puffs up". It's one thing to know and it's another thing to apply.

Now, happy to bike again, hopefully soon...

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?

Rating: ★★★★ Category: Books Genre: Other Author: Carolyn McCulley TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEVER SAY TO... This Top Ten List of things you never say to a single woman at a wedding from Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? By Carolyn McCulley (pg 18) 1) You're next. 2) Why aren't you married? 3) Maybe you should lose some weight. 4) What about (insert name here)? He's a nice boy! 5) You're next. 6) Maybe you're called to singleness. 7) Can you babysit tonight? 8) Did you ever consider being a missionary? 9) Just don't think about marriage, and it will happen. 10) You're next.

Top 10 Ang Pinaka Pasaway sa Facebook

Last Sunday I watched QTV's Ang Pinaka and couldn't help but laugh and agree with some or most of the reasons why people are 'pasaway' in FB. Honestly, I am pasaway sometimes too but really I'm amazed at how much Filipinos have embraced this social networking site and become part of their daily lives to the point that it become an addiction to some. So guys, here it is the Top 10 Ang Pinaka Pasaway sa FB  10. The Sympathy Baiter - posting comments that are too emo, inviting attention to self 9. The Obscurist - posting too deep words, cryptic phrases words of wisdom comments 8. The Paparazzo - feeling photo journalist, posting photos without your permission and                                       tagging you without concern if the photo will cause you shame  7. The Bad Grammarian -  likes to sound smart on his comments, never mind if the grammar                                         is 'baluktot' 6. The Chronic Inviter - bombards you with every quiz, game

My First PUSO Day

I am 35, single  (technically)   who have been asked numerous times every February of my life this same generic and sometimes annoying question of what will I do on the 14th? Normally my answer would just be a smile but this year is different. I have an answer, we have an all-girls-sleep-over partey!!! Last Feb14 (on a Friday, Payday, Valentines), while the Metro is cursed with heavy traffic both on streets and in trains (ya! people-traffic), I stayed at home the whole day to prepare for the night. My housemates and I, invited our girl friends to have a Valentines party at home and we called it P.U.S.O. Don't ask me what the acronym mean because I keep forgetting, the S though stands for Singles. See my pang-elementary wall decor...We even have our Love wall... Anyway, the ladies started coming by 5pm. The program was simple: eat, have a game and movie marathon. We had dinner, talked, laughed and ate as much sweets as we wanted (imagine 10+ women talking and laughing...t